Healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime is our goal at Dentistry by Design and it should be yours too. Home care plays a huge role in achieving this and it starts by eating balanced meals low in sugar, and correctly brushing and flossing to eliminate the presence of plaque in the mouth.
Our Hygienists recommend flossing prior to brushing to loosen any food partical from the gums so they can than be brushed and rinsed away in the brushing process. If you prefer to floss post brushing make sure to rinse your mouth with water to remove the debris so it doesn’t remain in the mouth.
Flossing – Recommended to do daily to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. It not only helps clean these spaces, it also does not give plaque an opportunity to build up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
1. Take 18 inches of dental floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches of floss between the hands.
2. Using your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss, gently insert the floss between teeth using a zigzag motion.
Brushing – Brush your teeth at least twice a day (especially before going to bed at night).
1. Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums and gently brush using a small, circular motion, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
2. Brush all surfaces of each tooth.
3. Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
4. Always brush your tongue to remove bacteria.
Rinsing – If you are unable to brush throughout the day a good rinse with water or mouthwash will help remove some bacteria and debris until you are able to brush with toothpaste.