At Dentistry by Design, we love February! While you may be thinking about romance, hearts and chocolate we are busy getting ready for National Children’s Dental Health Month, maybe not as romantic as Valentine’s Day but to us it is just as much fun.
To help promote awareness and to celebrate this national observance in our local area we are launching the “Healthy Smile” campaign. We are encouraging everyone to take the “Healthy Smile” pledge, just three simple steps designed to put you and your family on the path to healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime.
In taking the pledge you will automatically be entered to win one of four fun, family friendly prizes which we will be giving away throughout the month of February. We will also be adding lots of resources, tools and information to our site to help you keep the Healthy Smile pledge.
Here are some fun tools to get your little ones excited:
Printable Brushing Chart:
Sesame Street Videos and games:
Mouth Healthy: Offers videos and games for preschooler and educational and career resources for teens.
Crest for Kids: Tips and tools regarding kids oral care.
Oral B for Kids: Tips and tools regarding kids oral care.
Click to read more about National Children’s Dental Health Month.
The American Dental Association sponsors National Children’s Dental Health Month each February, bringing together thousands of dedicated dental professionals, health care providers and policy makers to raise awareness about the importance of oral health care. Here at Dentistry by Design we look forward to it every year. And while it is always our mission to promote the benefits of good oral health to children and adults, it is great to have the added national exposure we gain throughout February to support this mission. Establishing positive attitudes and healthy habits at an early age are critical to maintaining healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime.
This nation-wide observance began over 50 years ago to help encourage good oral health habits at a young age. It started out as a simple one day event in Cleveland, Ohio in February 1941. Then the American Dental Association held the first national observance of Children’s Dental Health Day on February 8, 1949. Six years later, in 1955 the observance grew into a week-long event and finally in 1981 the program expanded into the month-long observance we know of today as National Children’s Dental Health Month.
Here are just a few of the things we do locally at Dentistry by Design to ensure all children, including the undeserved population have access to quality, professional dental care:
- Volunteer at the WDA’s Mission of Mercy – This event provides over $1 million dollars in free dental care to approximately 2,000 individuals that are either uninsured, under-insured or for some reason are unable to visit a dentist. Those in attendance receive access to cleanings, fillings, extractions and limited treatment partials on an first-come, first-serve basis.
- As a WDA Trustee, Dr. Feit meets with our senators and policy makers to advocate for ways of increasing the availability of dental care for low income families in Wisconsin.
- Provide oral health presentations at local schools and youth organizations.
- Participate in local health fairs, providing oral health kits and information.
- Participate in the 97.7fm Big Dawg Christmas Toy Drive, providing toys, toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss to families in need.
For more information visit the American Dental Academy website.
January 2, 2013
Congratulations to Donna Lindal, winner of our December Holiday Stocking give-a-way. Included in the stocking was a $50 gift certificate to any Door County owned business and little treats to make a smile happy. Congratulations Donna, Enjoy!
Want to get in on the fun? Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter so you can get our most up to date news and information.